With the outbreak of corona, everyone is scared and conscious about their health. In such times, one knows that prevention is better than cure. We can prevent ourselves only when our immunity is strong.
Ayurveda is an ancient school of medicine that is reaping healthy results for ages and it has numerous ways to keep our body immune from many fatal diseases. Ayurveda’s extensive knowledge base on preventive care derives from the concepts of “Dinacharya” – daily regimes and “Ritucharya” – seasonal regimes to maintain a healthy life.
Ministry of AYUSH has recommended the following guidelines for preventive measures and strengthening immunity with special reference to respiratory health. These are supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications.
These are some general measures-
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH (#YOGAatHome #StayHome #StaySafe)
- Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in cooking.
- Have a spoonful of Chavanprash every day.
- Drink herbal tea/decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and/or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
- Golden Milk- Half teaspoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk – once or twice a day.
Ayurvedic procedures that can be helpful-
- Nasal application – Apply sesame oil/coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (PratimarshNasya) in the morning and evening.
- Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 tablespoon sesame or coconut oil in the mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by a warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
What to do during dry cough / sore throat?
- Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be practiced once in a day.
- Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar/honey can be taken 2- 3 times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
- These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. However, it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist.
These measures are recommended by imminent vaidyas like Padma ShriVaidya P R Krishnakumar, Coimbatore, Padma Bhushan Vaidya Devendra Triguna, Delhi, Vaidya P M Varier, Kottakkal. You can follow these measures at your own convenience.
Also, It should be made quite clear that this advisory is not a treatment for COVID-19. If you discover symptoms of Corona, you are strongly advised to seek medical help.